Tie Dye For

July's Soap Challenge Club 2017 challenge is the Fluid Acrylic Pour with Straw. The technique, taught by Joanne Watkins, uses a very fluid soap batter of varying colors and a straw to move the batter in a slab mold. Returning from a much needed vacation in June, I was invited to a TieDye party in early July. My nautilus tie dye apron was my inspiration for this soap. We had run out of red dye, so I had orange, yellow, green, blue and the white of the apron left. I liked the color combination, and I had those neon colorants from Mad Micas...

Wanting to try a new formula, I chose Amy's recommendation of tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, and castor oil. I bought tallow at my local butcher. I also decided to use confectionary sugar and sodium lactate in this formula with no water discount. I used 65 oz of oils with a 5% superfat and soaped at 92F oil and 100F lye. I stick blended really well this time, then divided the batter between the 5 colors with 1/2 the batter in white (TD). The fragrance was a strong Cucumber Melon by Bramble Berry. My plan was to soap 2 nautilus patterns intersecting with each other. This batter was very creamy and fluid, and remained fluid for 1.5 hours. I was able to pour many layers, probably 25 or a few more; the soap slab was a generous 1 3/8 in (3.5cm) tall. Time to gently tap the mold to get rid of any air bubbles. The soap was then sprayed with 95% isopropyl alcohol and CPOP'd ( is that a word?) at 170F for 4 hours. I believe the key to keeping some separation of color was to pour a white circle in between orange and green for example. I was hoping that it wouldn't turn to mud and was really happy as I cut into the slab. No soda ash!!!  Each bar is very unique and very smooth, hard and clear. This soap formula is a keeper Amy! I am also pleased to report that there were no lye burns on my watch :) The key to this is a very long straw!🍹







Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these, Cheryl! Your colors really pop! The bottom of the one bar reminds me of iridescent glass tile. ~Janelle Peck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janelle! I love the technique. The colors were exciting to work with.

      Delete
  3. Great job. You aced the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone! Still new to the blogging thing :) If it is too hard to comment on this site, you can check out my facebook or instagram. I think the challenges are teaching me a great deal about the computer tech end of the soaping world. Obviously, I have a lot to learn :) www.facebook.com/saponaceoussoapworks www.instagram.com/saponaceoussoap

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look SO COOL!! You've done a beautiful interpretation of tie dye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic!! Looks just like the tie dye with pretty colours. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic!! Looks just like the tie dye with pretty colours. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment